The EastSide Arts Alliance (ESAA) is an organization of artists, cultural workers, and community organizers of color who
live and/or work in the San Antonio district of Oakland. We are committed to working in the San Antonio and other Oakland
neighborhoods to support a creative environment that improves the quality of life for our communities and advocates for progressive, systemic social change.
EastSide Arts Alliance uses the voice of art and culture to nurture a genuinely multi-cultural community that benefits
all people in our neighborhood and provides creative opportunities for youth and adults to share their own cultural traditions and innovations.
We present community workshops, events, and festivals at which individuals learn to use the arts as a way to identify and express their views on issues which affect their lives,
as well as the life and health of the community they live in.
Through progressive programming and cultural organizing, EastSide Arts Alliance promotes community sustainability for future generations through self-determination,
political and cultural awareness, and leadership development.
The EastSide Cultural Center presents free youth art classes, cultural programming, public art projects, ongoing gallery exhibitions, community town halls, and the annual Malcolm X Jazz Arts Festival. We work with numerous organizations and community groups to present hundreds of events every year.
EastSide Arts Alliance's events presenting includes:
- Jazz programming: to complement ESAA's Annual Malcolm X JazzArts Festival we present residencies and workshops with jazz artists, present jazz concerts and are planning a regular jazz jam session for local musicians.
- Hip Hop: ESAA has a program offering sound recording and editing skills to emerging hip hop artists. The program - Beats, Flows, and Videos - is a free afterschool arts training program open to young people ages 15-10. In addition we present concerts featuring hip-hop, neosoul, funk, and soul artists.
- Holla Back: a weekly Open Mic session for poets, songwriters, and theater artists. Held every Thursday night from 8:30-10pm. Donations Requested
- Future literary events include book readings, featured poetry events and a third world book and music fair.
- For Dancers Only!: a monthly Freestyle Dance Party featuring special guest performances. Held every 2nd Friday of the month from 9pm-2am - $10
- Final Fridays Video: monthly screenings of documentaries and feature films, often accompanied by a cultural presentation or speakers. Held every last Friday of the month from 7-9pm. Donations requested